Funding and discounts for ADHD children, young people and their carers

ADHD is recognised as a condition which qualifies for disability benefits and funding.  The following is a summary of the various avenues to explore: 

The Disability Register Identity Card (for children and young people) is an invaluable card for ADHD children. The card has been introduced to help parents and carers prove that their child is registered with their local authority as disabled. It can then be used to gain concessions on entrance fees to places where disability concessions apply.

All Government benefits for the disabled including ADHD are here.

All available grants can be found on this website

Carer’s Allowance (CA) is paid to a carer who looks after an ADHD child more than 35 hours a week and earns under a certain threshold.

Cerebra’s funding guide for parents covers all the possible areas of financial help for your ADHD child:

Disability Facilities Grant is available up to £30,000 in England for your ADHD/SEN under 18-year-old child without parents’ income being considered

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) helps with the cost of caring for an eligible ADHD child, under 16 years of age, needing extra looking after and having had these difficulties for at least three months. Just describe your child at his/her worst. Do not understate the problems and be particularly be clear about night-time issues e.g. incontinence, difficulty going to sleep, waking up all the time, tantrums, fits, lack of sleep, etc. (the higher benefit care rate for DLA is only paid for those with night time problems). It will aid you to obtain a Disability Register Identity Card for your application.

Disabled Students Allowance: For support going into further education

Equality & Human Rights Commission may offer funding and legal assistance for cases concerning discrimination in education. Get in touch with them here:

Family Fund helps families who are raising a disabled (ADHD) child or young person up to 17. The child must present very severe conditions and not just ADHD.

Free Early Education is provided by the UK Government  for all 3 and4 year olds and for 2 year olds with SEN needs/EHCP/if they get a Disability Living Allowance or receive income support.

Independence at Home may be able to help families with ADHD children who need financial help towards the cost of equipment, home adaptations or other essential items to improve independence, comfort, safety and quality of life at home.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing DLA for people aged between 16 and 64 years of age (there are no current plans to replace DLA for children aged under 16). Those already receiving DLA will not be automatically transferred to PIP, but will have to make a claim for the new benefit when invited to do so 

Do you need help with completing the required applications for any of the above funding? 

Richmond AID’s advisers will assist with PIP form filling only please email:  

KIDS have a sessional adviser who can support with DLA for a fee

Otherwise please contact Richmond Citizens Advice for DLA support

The following funding and discounts are available for public transport and leisure activities: 

Merlin Pass (which includes Chessington World of Adventures, Legoland, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, the London Eye, London Dungeons, Madame Tussauds, and Sea Life Centres) offers a free carers pass –

Merlin’s Magic Wand, is a worldwide charity for children arranging magical days out at Merlin Entertainments attractions, such as LEGOLAND Resorts®, SEA LIFE Centres and Madame Tussauds.

Happy Days provides days out or a UK family holiday break. Your child must be between 3 and 17 years old

Disabled Persons Freedom Passes may be available to some ADHD children, who meet certain criteria. These Freedom Passes entitles the holder to free travel on most types of London transport, and train services in the London area

Disabled Person’s Railcard is valid for one or three years and entitles the holder plus accompanying adult discount of up to one third off a range of tickets. Children aged 5 to 16 may also be eligible to hold a Disabled Person’s Railcard. To qualify for a Disabled Person’s Railcard, the person concerned has to receive DLA/PIP at the higher rate for getting around or receive DLA/PIP at the higher or middle rate for personal care.

Cinema Exhibition Card (CEA) provides a cinema discount card for carers. Any responsible one adult who goes to the cinema with the child who has a disability gets in free. To be eligible the child or young person must be in receipt of DLA.

Aiming High (Kingston and Richmond) have various funds and they have short break funds for a family up to £140 p.a..  They will reimburse you through a bank payment for after school clubs, holiday activities, sports, an annual pass and inclusion in mainstream settings programmes. You MUST supply receipts. There is also additional funding available to enable a mainstream activity provider to give your child / young person extra support by increasing the staff ratio.

Richmond Card is a card for Richmond Borough residents (children and adults) to get discounts for various activities at leisure centres. The cost for children and young people is free, however, there is a cost for the adult. If you register with the Richmond Carers Centre, you can get a carer’s discount