It is a sad fact that some schools and institutions are not set up for our neurodiverse children and sometimes we need to fight for their needs to help them access their education.

Here are some pointers on how to access more information on this.

How can I find out what rights my child has and also what processes govern SEN education?

Start by reading the government’s overview of rights of children with SEN needs.

In addition, Achieving for Children has got a page on the rules and processes governing Education and SEN in the borough which is very useful.

Where can I get free advice in the Richmond and Kingston Boroughs?

SENDIASS provides information, advice and support around special educational needs and disabilities. The services are free, impartial, confidential and accurate. The services are for children and young people aged 0 – 25 who have or may have SEND, their parents and carers

For advice and legal resources, Skylarks also has a SEN Service and offers free, impartial support and information in relation to the educational needs of children and young people who have special educational needs and disabilities.

What other legal resources can I access on SEN education? 

SEN solicitor, Eva Akins, Partner at Russell Cooke wrote this extensive list of what you can expect school to do for your child 101 reasonable Adjustments for ADHD. You can also see the seminar she gave on Getting the education your child needs, which covers key issues such as SEN Support, EHCPs, Appeals and Reasonable Adjustments.

The EASS Helpline advises and assists individuals on issues relating to equality and human rights, across England, Scotland and Wales.

IPSEA –Independent Parental Special Education Advice offers a helpline on legal questions []

Ace Education’s advice and information give parents up to date knowledge of law and guidance as well as practical and tactical advice on how to work with their child’s school to resolve any concerns.

Coram Children’s Legal Centre specialises in law and policy affecting children and young people.

The charity, Cerebra, support families of children with neuro conditions and has created a Accessing Public Services Guide to guide you through legal challenges against statutory agencies.

SOS SEN offer a free, friendly, independent and confidential telephone helpline for parents and others looking for information and advice on Special Educational Needs (SEN). They concentrate on helping people to find their way through the legal and procedural maze.